I love to snack. But eating a WFPB diet means avoiding processed foods. So if I want the convenience of having a snack ready as soon as hunger strikes, that means I need to have planned ahead and made something in advance. I know, this sounds like a pain in the @$$. Turns out though, it’s actually not that hard. And the benefit of knowing that I am eating a snack made of quality ingredients alleviates some of the guilt that naturally comes along with snacking.
I encourage snacking for two reasons:
1. If you are hungry, you need to eat. If your stomach is growling, that is your body audibly announcing that it’s hungry. Even if you’re dieting, it’s important to give your body what it needs. If you don’t, your body has defense mechanisms set in place to slow down your metabolism. Starving yourself is extremely counterproductive. So when hunger strikes between meals, snack on something that will benefit your body both short and long term.
2. Secondly, I have found that constantly trying to fight hunger pangs for the sake of losing weight will get you no where. The more you deprive yourself, the more likely you are to cheat (and cheat in a BIG way) later. Moderation and good nutrition are key.
Now that I have freed you of all snack-related guilt, here is a super easy, 5 ingredient, delightful, no-bake recipe! So get snackin’
Cranberry Almond Bites:
Prep time: 10 minutes
1 cup organic rolled oats
2/3 cup almond butter
1/2 ground flax seed
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tbsp. honey
- Combine all five ingredients in a medium bowl and incorporate evenly.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes. Once the dough is cold, it will be easier to roll.
- Roll dough into 15-20 bites.