Indisputable fact: cornbread is the best bread.
You might think that cutting out butter and eggs would leave any cornbread recipe dry and flat. However, this recipe is anything but dry and amazingly, it rose higher than I had expected. Like most of my kitchen creations, this was a total experiment. My dad saw it and said, “Oh, so we’re having corn cake for dinner?” He wasn’t too far off. This cornbread had just the right amount of sweetness without the scary amount of sugar that most recipes call for. I think the secret is in the grits.
Healthy Vegan Cornbread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
1 cup natural organic corn grits
1 cup organic corn meal
1 cup organic whole grain white flour
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup drained canned sweet corn
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1 tbsp. all natural maple syrup
1 tbsp. organic honey
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in wet ingredients and whisk until even.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8×8 glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Allow 5-10 minutes to cool.